Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Resignation

Even as I steeled myself in my office to pen my resignation, my wife sensed my struggle and composed the letter of resignation herself, which I altered in small ways before she and I submitted the resignation in person on Thursday the 15th of March 2001.


Dear [District President]

Through prayer, intense reflection and a desire to submit to the will of God I have come to the conclusion that I cannot, in good conscience, reaffirm the ordination vows that are required later this year to continue in Lutheran ministry. Given my current convictions, I cannot continue to uphold these vows with honesty or integrity. To do so would not be fair to you, to my parishioners, to the Lutheran Church of Australia, nor to myself or my family. Therefore I must ask you to accept this letter as my resignation from the position of pastor of the [ ] Lutheran Parish and from the office of public ministry in the Lutheran Church of Australia.

Despite the idyllic setting of my parish, the wonderful people within it, the very positive signs of spiritual growth, and the joy I have in leading these special congregations, I cannot continue to lead and teach people in the way of their
salvation when I can no longer believe in that which must be taught according to the Lutheran doctrinal statements. In making this decision I do not believe I am taking the easy road. The cost to me in terms of personal loss is high - income, vocation and home; some family, friendships among parishioners and fellow pastors, and investment of seven and a half years in preparing for and working in this role. my wife and I are sustained in our heartache by the knowledge that God will never forsake us, and will lead us to His truth. As you are aware, my struggles in the Lutheran Church doctrine have been in various areas - particularly of authority and biblical interpretation - and I have prayed and searched hard for solutions for my peace of mind and soul. I believe the only possible answer calls me to return to Luther’s own church - the Roman Catholic Church. Although I am sad to leave so many good things, my sadness is deepest in believing that the Lutheran Church has neglected to teach and uphold some of the most profound and wonderful doctrines of the whole Catholic Church. Dialogue with many Lutheran leaders, pastors and parishioners shows me that I cannot hold any real hope of the various Lutheran communions returning to Rome. So, for the sake my family’s souls, and also of my own, we must obey the call of our Lord, and return to His Church. I have felt honoured to be a part of the Victorian District of the LCA and I thank you for your leadership and your counsel in many ways during my time prior to study, during study and vicarage, and now in the parish. I hope that those who seek to form opinions on the reasons and motivation for my resignation will do so in mind of the deep grief it causes myself and wife, and that they will take into account the integrity of deciding not taking a vow that I can no longer uphold in good conscience. I pray that the church that I have served and been blessed by in many ways now blesses my parting from it.

Yours in Christ


I attached a private letter to respond to some of his points raised in recent meetings which included the following paragraphs;




I agree that my discussions with other brothers who share these questions has spurred me on to come to my conclusions much more quickly than if I had been left to discover the Truth alone. I realise that my own upbringing, personality, and church experience have increased the intensity of the questioning and the need for answers. I freely acknowledge that this crisis in my faith has been triggered by the authority questions raised by Pastor’s Conference and General Synod last July.

But, even if I could ever fully comprehend and resolve each and every one of factors, it would not bring me a single step closer to resolving the matter of what is Truth and what is falsehood. It may help me to feel better about teaching falsehood, but it will hardly convince me that falsehood is, in fact, Truth.

It is all very well to identify the factors which brought me to this point but removing
these factors, or working them though, or explaining them away, will not take me back. My current stress and emotional distress caused by acting as a Lutheran minister are not just the result of psychological factors, they are the symptoms of a crisis of truth. I believe one thing, and I am called upon daily to live according to another.

In case you are tempted to doubt my conviction, let me spell out the real reason for my current angst. I no longer hold any doubt as to what Truth is, and where it is to be found. I believe that the Roman Catholic Church is the true Church. I believe that Christ gave the Church his living authority incarnate in the magisterium and in the chair of St Peter, and that to believe and act otherwise is to reject Christ’s own authority and command. I believe that Christ gives His gifts to His Church through the ordained priesthood handed down by valid succession of bishops. I believe that
the sacraments I preside over are, at best, an imitation of the true Sacraments.
Finally, if there is any doubt about the strength of my need and desire to return to Rome, If I believe that Rome is the true Church and I do not return to her, my very salvation is in danger. [Lumen Gentium, 14]

Dr Stolz came over that night to thrash out the details. He was sad but seemed almost relieved. I think he wasn’t sure what to do with me and that I had saved him a huge worry by resigning.

We were told about six weeks was the rough date of our final service.

Next: Telling Our Friends and Family

No comments: